In this article I thought it would be very helpful to provide some information on how to get big muscles fast. This is an honest answer, I am not here to sell you an e-book which is probably what you will find on many other sites. But this is not magic solution either, it won’t happen overnight. But it can happen quickly with the right approach. Also read the best routine to build muscle article as well, it is a companion to this one. And offers a few different pieces of advice on the styles of training you may like to try.
What you need is down to earth and honest advice from someone who has done it and is still doing it. Of course it was much easier to get big muscles when I was starting out at the age of 16. If you are older it won’t be quite as easy, but I still know how to build muscle. Although as you get older the body simply takes longer to recover and you cannot work it quite as hard unless you are very well conditioned.
For newcomers to bodybuilding and high intensity training, whatever your age, this is definitely the way to train if you want to get big muscles quick. High intensity bodybuilding means training flat out, you will be aching, you will be straining, and you will be getting big muscles as fast as possible. High intensity means that on the final rep of each exercise you will be at the absolute limit. You need to be psyched up, you need to want it, and you absolutely will get that last repetition out no matter what. No dicking about, no wimping out, you need to go to at least positive failure on all of your exercises.
Before I give you a routine to help you to get massive muscles quickly I need to make something clear. I owe most of what I learnt to a few people. If you read the muscle mags and a lot of the crap that is available online you would think that you can follow the exercise routines of a truly massive guy or a Mr. Olympia and get HUGE doing it.
Ain’t gonna happen.
These people are freaks. They would be HUGE if they never lifted a weight in their life. Hardly anyone will ever be as big as them. For us average guys and gals we can get massive compared to everyone we know but unless you were born with amazingly superior genetics then you will never be a world class bodybuilder.
We each of us have to accept to some degree the way our bodies are. Although all of us can totally transform ourselves and get big muscles we won’t for the most part be able to withstand the rigours that the top professionals put their bodies through. We simply do not have the bodies that can cope with such things.
I learnt what I needed to know from a few great books and if you want a really in depth read on how to absolutely max the size you can get to and how to do it without any bull then you need to read Beyond Brawn.
Buy it from Amazon, it’s the best book there is.
It is one of the few books that you will ever need to read to get he best results bodybuilding and to get as big as possible as quickly as possible without being subjected to a load of crap advice that will get you nowhere but burnt out in a few weeks. The other books I recommend are on the sidebar.
Okay, the realities of getting big muscles fast.
If you don’t have your own bodybuilding equipment then either get to the Gym or buy your own. Personally I always prefer my own equipment. It means I can train when I want and for about the price of a years Gym membership you can buy everything that you need. Either way here is how to get big muscles quick.
A Program To Gain Muscle Quickly
You will be mostly sticking to compound movements. These are exercises that involve multiple muscle groups and each plays it part during the exercise. You MUST use a very strict form or exercise style. Knowing how to perform an exercise properly will see you getting much better results and means that you won’t hurt yourself. Buy the exercise form book on the side if you have any doubt that you know EXACTLY how to perform with perfect technique. Getting injured, which is easy to do with big weights means that you will never get HUGE and it’s game over dude, not worth the risk.
The get big muscles fast routine.
- Squats or Trap bar deadlifts. A good few warm up sets and then one all out set of between 15 to 20 repetitions. This is the cornerstone of getting HUGE. By the fifteenth rep you MUST be exhausted. The weight must be heavy enough that you feel like you cannot do any more. I prefer the Trap Bar on Amazon and I really cannot recommend it enough. Much safer than squats and perfect for training alone. You cannot go to total failure if you train alone and use squats but with the trap bar you can. Now, after rep 15 you should want to stop but don’t. Take a few massive breaths between each additional rep but keep pumping them out until you literally collapse. This exercise is at the cornerstone of getting big. You are putting massive demands on the whole body and exercising your largest group of muscles first i.e Your Legs, your ass and amazingly just about every other muscle in your body. You will take a good five minutes before you can even think about the next exercise if you really hit this hard so if you recover to quick then you di not work hard enough squatting or deadlifting with the invaluable trap bar.
- Next is chinups, or bent over barbell rows or one armed dumbell rows. A few warm ups are not really needed after the leg work so do a good few sets, again to failure. You MUST be in agony by the final rep. No wimping out. The last rep you do must be the last one you can possibly do.
- Bench press or Dips. Your choice but again to at least positive failure.
- Shoulder press. I prefer to do these after the chest as the chest has more mass and I want my energy for those big pecs. Your choice about exercise order but work the big muscles first when you have the most energy if you can.
- Barbell curls. We want those big Biceps and if you want to know how to get big biceps then barbell curls are only part of it. You cannot simply work one body part and get it huge if you don’t stimulate the rest of the body and you do that with squats or trap bar deadlifts. Do a few sets of curls to failure and see the veins bulge.
- Shrugs. Nothing makes you look more like a bodybuilder than a HUGE neck and big trapezoids. For this you will be amazed what weight you can really handle. Once you get in to it you will need a power rack. Rest the bar just below the height of your hands when they are hanging by your sides and shrug your shoulders after gripping the bar. It should be a weight that you could not possibly lift if it was on the floor.
That’s it guys and gals. Simple yet effective. I am not going to tell yo how many sets to do as it comes down to your body type. Some can handle 2 sets flat out but most can handle 1 after a warm up or two. You need to simply see how your body reacts.
For youngsters you may be able to do this workout 3 times a week but for many it will be twice a week. Because the leg work takes so much out of you you need to only do it if you are fully recovered. This may mean waiting a day or two extra until you are ready to go again.
For putting muscle on fast you need to work out when your body has recovered. Why?
Get Big Muscles Quick By Constantly Adding Weight
THE MORE WORKOUTS YOU CAN COMPLETE WHERE YOU ADD WEIGHT TO THE BAR THE FASTER YOU WILL PROGRESS
Every single workout you should strive to add a bit more weight to the bar. Not much but a pound or two for big muscle groups and a lower amount for smaller muscle groups. See my what you need to succeed post for resources for fraction plates which are at the heart of getting HUGE muscles by constantly adding a tiny amount of weight to the bar at almost every workout.
How big do you think you will be if you never add weigh to the bar and constantly get stronger? If you can’t do this at least once a week then you are not recovering properly and need to wait longer between workouts. Either that or you are not working hard enough so your muscles do not feel the need to get bigger.
Apart from all this YOU MUST EAT. And I mean a lot. See the how to gain weight quickly article for more info. If you want BIG MUSCLES FAST then you need to be eating like your life depended on it. Skinny dudes will find it hard at first but you must keep eating. See my what you need to succeed post for the best way to keep the calories up if you are not a big eater.
You should eat good quality food to keep up with the energy used doing leg work. You can’t get big muscles quick if you do not consume more calories than you expend. Your appetite should see to itself if you do the leg work properly, it simply makes you starving.
Get a scales from the resources here as you need to make sure you are gaining weight each and every week. Aim for half a pound to a pound each week if not more. Just watch to ensure you don’t put on too much fat. If you do then cut back on the food a little but to get huge muscles quickly you must eat a lot.
Do the above for a few months and you will look amazingly different. Nothing is set in stone though so amend this basic workout to your own needs, I am not a baby sitter and you should be able to find your own way using the above. Kep a workout log and write down the number of set, reps and the weight for each exercise. You MUST strive to beat the previous workout by adding a rep or some weight at least every week. For legs go for 15-20 reps and for other exercises aim for the 8-12 rep range. See what suits you best but that is the best guideline for most trainees.
Let me know how you get on or if you have any questions.